US withdrawing thousands of troops from Iraq and Afghanistan

10.09.2020

The United States will pull thousands of troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan by November, the top American commander for the Middle East said on Wednesday, as President Donald Trump tries to make good on his campaign promise to get America out of "endless wars".

During a visit to Iraq, Marine Gen. Frank McKenzie, the commander of US Central Command, said the reduction in Iraq – from about 5,200 troops to about 3,000 – reflects the Trump administration's confidence in the ability of US-trained Iraqi security forces to handle the militant threat from the Islamic State group.

Later, McKenzie said troop levels in Afghanistan would drop to 4,500 by November. He made the statement in a telephone call with a small group of reporters, according to officials at his Central Command office.

"We're on a glide slope to be at 4,500 by the November time frame – October, late October, November time frame,'' he said, according to a transcript made available by his office. He said the path to 4,500 would be determined in part by the military's ability to get equipment out of the country.

The US presidential election is on 3 November.

"At 4,500 we're still going to be able to accomplish the core tasks that we want to accomplish,'' he said. "And we've shown more than ample goodwill and our willingness to demonstrate that we don't want to be an occupying force in this country. But we do have strategic interests, vital interests, that compel us to be certain that these entities, such as al-Qaida and ISIS, can't be guests there to attack the United States.''

The US had reduced its presence in Afghanistan to 8,600 in June and was known to plan further reductions, although McKenzie had not previously cited a projected number. He gave no exact date for reaching the 4,500 level; he said a specific date has been targeted but he would not reveal it.

The moves come as Trump faces criticism for allegedly denigrating American war dead as "losers'' and "suckers". He has denied the allegation, first reported by The Atlantic magazine last week, which surfaced at a time of heightened tension in his relationship with the military. Trump added to the perception of a growing split with Pentagon leaders when he said on Monday that they want to fight wars to boost the profits of defence companies.

Trump has been trying to make the case that he has fulfilled the promises he made four years ago as he campaigns for a second term. Trump's Democratic challenger, Joe Biden, was asked on Wednesday if he agreed with Trump's move to draw down troops. "Yes I do," Biden responded, "as long as there's a plan to figure out how he's going to deal with ISIS.''

US forces have been in Afghanistan since 2001 when they invaded in response to the 9/11 attacks planned by al-Qaida, the militant group that enjoy refuge while the Taliban ruled Afghanistan. The US-led invasion quickly toppled the Taliban from power, but the ensuing conflict dragged on far longer than expected.

US troops invaded Iraq in 2003 and left in 2011 but returned in 2014 after the Islamic State group overran large parts of Iraq. In June, McKenzie announced that the number of US troops in Afghanistan had dropped to 8,600, the level that the US agreed to in a February peace with the Taliban that also calls on the US to withdraw entirely by next spring. (AP)

More on this topic